Saturday, March 15, 2008

Refrigerator Pickles

I love these pickles. They taste like candy.

When I first heard of this recipe, I wondered WHY would anyone want to make pickles out of pickles that were already made. I could not follow the logic. It was illogical that anyone would BUY a jar of perfectly all made pickles and then do some things to them, wait 3 days and then have pickles. But they are wonderful. They make those perfectly all made pickles even more perfectly wonderful. And they are easy. Now that's logic.


From the Pantry


1 Quart (48 ozs) jar of Whole Kosher Dills, undrained

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp pickling spice

2 cups sugar


Cut the whole pickles in 1" chunks. Be careful you don't buy the HOT pickles---I found out the hard way that the Mt. Olive brand Whole Kosher Dills have a very similar label for the HOT pickles...WOW.


Put the chunks, juice from the jar and all other ingredients in a large non-metal bowl with a cover. Don't attempt to be smart and put it all back in the glass pickle jar. It doesn't work. I tried. I use one of those reusable plastic take-along bowls. The ones with the blue lids that scatter all over my cabinet and can never be found when needed without emptying the entire cabinet on to the floor. You know the kind I mean?


It is important to use a non-metal bowl because all that acid will react with the metal and create a nasty science experiment.


Give everything a good stir to help dissolve some of the sugar. Refrigerate and stir at least once a day for 3 days. After 3 days they will be ready to eat. For dessert. Just kidding about that.

These are delicious and would be great on the table with the Easter ham.

No comments:

 
Site Meter