Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Goodness Gracious


I love good manners, civility and proper etiquette. I am far from perfect when it comes to these social elements but have always been fascinated with the "rules" and "order" of doing things right.


When George Washington was about 16 years old, he transcribed Rules of Civility & Decent Behaviour In Company and Conversation as a school exercise. These 110 guidelines for civil behavior are mostly still applicable today. I love #4 and wish more people would pay attention to that one!


My favorite corporate motto belongs to the Ritz-Carlton. Their philosophy engrained in each employee? "We are Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen". Having been fortunate to stay at a Ritz-Carlton recently, I can attest that each employee I encountered believed this to be true and it showed in their treatment of their guests. And I want to go back. Often.


Ever been through customs going in to Canada? Along side a Canadian citizen returning home? They get a gracious "Welcome Home" from their Border Patrol agents when they present their Canadian passports. How civil is that?


So in the theme of this post, thank you for visiting my blog today. It was most kind of you and I trust you were pleasantly entertained for a moment or two. I am delighted that you came by.



No comments:

 
Site Meter