Sunday, November 23, 2008

Soup's On



Here's a great deal. Did you know that HoneyBaked Ham stores sells ham bones? I can buy them at my HB Ham store for $7.99 and they come with lots of meat still on them. Like enough for a few sandwiches or a meal for 2 and even then there is plenty enough on the bone to make soup. They don't always have them in the store, so call first before you go.

I made bean soup today with great northern beans. I use the overnight soak method and then softly boil the beans and ham in water for a few hours. I add in some chopped onion, chopped celery (including the leaves) and a diced carrot or two. Add some pepper and a little bit of salt, a few bay leaves and simmer. Then I add my secret ingredient (shhh- don't tell). About a cup of ketchup. It delivers some color and a subtle sweetness. Good on the first night with some bread and butter.



Even better on the second night with biscuits and honey.

No comments:

 
Site Meter