Wednesday, February 25, 2009

La Dolce Vita


Apparently I enjoy the sweet life a little too much. At least according to my blood sugar levels a few months ago. When my doctor told me the levels were starting to creep up just a little bit and that perhaps I should cut back on things like sugar in my coffee, I looked at her like she was from Mars.

Then she told me about a natural sweetener she was using and how wonderful it is. Agave nectar. She even showed me the bottle she had in her office and told me she uses it in her coffee. All I could think of was the unfortunate (and awful) Starbucks honey coffee drink. A few days later I bought a bottle of agave nectar syrup at Whole Foods and then it sat in the pantry for a few months.


The other day I was feeling brave (and over sugared) and tried it.


I love it. No honey taste at all. Just a light sweetness that's perfect in coffee.
It's made from the same plant that tequelia is made from (whoohooo) and has a low glycemic index number thing. It is available in a light color (and flavor- thats the one I have) and a dark or amber color that is supposed to be more like maple syrup. Probably not so good in coffee.


Try it. You'll like it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information- I will try it. You sounded like me- don't take to new things very fast.
Take care

 
Site Meter