Sunday, August 2, 2009

Love Lasts

My brother is Captain of a huge cargo ship that goes to far away places, some of them even scary places these days. He is now on a count-down to retirement and contemplating the wide variety of options that are available to him for a life after being at sea for 3-6 months at a time and then home again and then away again and so on. In a recent email to our father, Capt. Brother writes:


"There's a million other things I can do and still make a decent living wage. It's just a matter of figuring out what I want to do. I'd like to remain in this industry, but as a consultant so I can have some control over my schedule. I also have thought about doing something with flying - maybe get my commercial ticket and fly freight or start an air charter like my neighbor. I'm so fortunate to have a wife that is as supportive as Sue. She understands what I'm going through out here, and is literally counting down the trips I have left. She is my best friend. "

The line that melted my heart was the last sentence. "She is my best friend".

I recently came across this photo of my brother and his wife taken over 25 years ago. Best friends then and now. That's a love that lasts.

No comments:

 
Site Meter