Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mother Blue



I love Carlo Dolci's Blue Madonna. This magnificent original oil is in the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota as part of one of the finest Baroque art collections in the US. I took this photo of the piece (one of the few museums that allow cameras, without flash, of course) when we visited on Mother's Day weekend.

The photo doesn't do the blue color of the Madonna's robe justice. It is so brilliant even after 400 years. I can't keep that color saturation in our clothes even with my award winning laundry techniques and my ever-faithful box of Biz. Dolci's secret for the blue? Crushed lapis lazuli, probably from Afghanistan.

Award winning laundry techniques? Well, not really, but there oughta be such an award and I oughta win. Often.

No comments:

 
Site Meter